Dan Breen Cup
The Dan Breen cup is among the most prized trophies in Tipperary GAA. It is presented annually to the winners of the Tipperary senior hurling championship. To date, there have been three Dan Breen cups in existence and two of them can be seen in the Trophy Room at Lár na Páirce museum.
The original Dan Breen cup was presented to Tipperary GAA in 1931 by Dan Breen. Tipperary native, Breen (1894 – 1969) was a veteran of the War of Independence and the Civil War and in later years was a Fianna Fáil T.D. The cup had been purchased by Breen in the USA and brought to Ireland by the Tipperary team returning from their American tour of that year.
The Dan Breen cup was presented for the first time to Toomevara captain and full-forward, Martin Kennedy, following the 1931 county hurling final. As the decades went by, the cup suffered the natural wear and tear associated with victory celebrations and in 1971 this cup was taken out of circulation. The captain to receive the original cup for the final time was Jim Fogarty of Moyne Templetuohy.
The second Dan Breen cup was presented by the Dan Breen Commemoration Committee to Tipperary GAA Board and Jackie Hannon of Roscrea was its first recipient in 1972.It is similar, though slightly smaller that the All-Ireland hurling trophy, the Liam McCarthy cup. This cup was modelled on the ancient Celtic communal or friendship drinking vessel, the mether. This Dan Breen cup was in use until 2005, when its final recipient was Thurles Sarsfields captain, Ger O’Grady.
The third Dan Breen Cup, a replica of the second, was presented to Tipperary GAA Board by the Third Tipperary Brigade Old IRA commemoration committee, in October 2006. Tommy Dunne, Toomevara, was the first captain to receive it.
Dan Breen Cup